SPARC SOLARIS-HEPPA Working Group Meeting 18-19 September 2019, Granada/Spain
The meeting focuses (but is not limited to) results of the five SOLARIS-HEPPA working groups (http://solarisheppa.geomar.de/workinggroups):
- WG1 (Stratospheric Signal): Analysis of the solar irradiance and particle effects on the stratosphere in both historical (1960-2010) (or REF-C1) and future (2010-2100) (or REF-C2) simulations of the Chemistry Climate Model Initiative (CCMI) simulations.
- WG2 (Surface Signal): Analysis of the solar irradiance and particle effects on surface climate in CCMI REF-C1, REF-C2 simulations with a particular interest on atmosphere ocean coupling processes.
- WG3 (Comparison with (satellite) observations): Comparison of the observed solar with the specified dynamics CCMI experiments (REF-C1SD) covering the satellite era from 1980-2010.
- WG4 (Methodological Analysis): Assessment of existing statistical approaches to analyze solar signals in model and observational data with, as a first step, a special focus on Multiple Linear Regression techniques.
- WG5 (Medium Energy Electrons (MEE) Model-Measurement intercomparison): Comparison of observed chemical responses to MEEs in the mesosphere with available model simulations that account for MEE ionization.
For this meeting, only invited and contributed oral presentations are planned (i.e., no poster presentations). Sufficient time will be allocated for discussions on individual WG results as well as for a general discussion on SOLARIS-HEPPA research.
Limited funds for travel support for early career scientists (PhD students and Postdocs within 4 years after your PhD) have been made available by SPARC/WRCP. Please let us know as soon as possible (but not later than 15 July 2019) if you would like to apply for support (by sending an email to bernd ”at“ iaa.es ).
The meeting will take place on 18-19 September 2019 in Granada (Spain) at the Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía (IAA, CSIC). For more info about the venue, we recommend to visit: wikitravel (Granada, Spain)
Call for abstracts
Please submit your abstract by email to bernd ”at“ iaa.es before 1 September 2019 (indicating working group topic, e.g. “WG1” or “GENERAL” if not related to a specific WG)
The participants are requested to take care of their own travel and accommodation. There are plenty of hotel rooms in Granada, but you are advised not to wait until the last minute. We list below some recommendations.
- Hotel Los Basilios 3*, very close to the city centre and IAA (inexpensive).
- Hotel NH Granada 4*
- Hotel Corona 4*
- Hotel Saray 4*
- Hotel Andalucia Center 4*
- Hotel Dauro 3* (inexpensive)
- Hotel Las Almenas 3* (inexpensive)
How to get to Granada
No fees will be applied. To register, just send an email to: bernd ”at“ iaa.es.
For easier planning and setting up the agenda, please let us know by sending an email to bernd ”at“ iaa.es (possibly before 1 August 2019)
- if you plan to attend the meeting and,
- in this case, the tentative title/topic of your presentation.
Agenda (available as download)
Thursday, 19 September 2019
12:30 - 13:00 Coffee / Snack
13:00 - 13:15 Welcome, Logisitics, Goals
Working group 1:
13:15 - 13:45 Markus Kunze WG1 update 13:45 - 14:15 Bernd Funke Chemical and dynamical responses to EPP in CCMi models
Working group 4:
14:15 - 14:45 Ales Kuchar UV+EPP signatures from the methodological perspective 14:45 - 15:45 all Discussion on methodological aspects of the CCMI analysis 15:45 - 16:15 Coffee
Working group 2:
16:15 - 16:45 Stergios Misios (remote) WG2 update 16:45 - 17:15 Kleareti Tourpali Total ozone column responses in CCMI models 17:15 - 18:30 all General discussion on CCMI analysis / overview paper 20:30 Joint Dinner (place tbd)
Thursday, 19 September 2019
Working group 3:
09:30 - 10:00 Alessandro Damiani (remote) WG3 update (1)
10:00 - 10:30 Areseniy Karagodin WG3 update (2)
10:30 - 11:00 Areseniy Karagodin H2O and CO responses to SSI variability in observations and CCMI models
11:00 - 11:30 Coffee 11:30 - 12:00 all Discussion on WG3 aspects
Working group 5:
12:00 - 12:30 Pekka Verronen WG5 update
12:30 - 13:00 Pekka Verronen About the indirect effect of EPP-NOy on polar spring stratospheric temperature in the Southern Hemisphere
13:00 - 13:30 Joshua Pettit (remote) MEE impacts WACCM
13:30 - 15:00 Lunch
15:00 - 15:30 Sigmund Guttu Impact of Medium-Energy Electron Precipitation on Ozone and Middle Atmosphere Dynamics in WACCM simulations
15:30 -16:00 Thomas Reddmann Model-data comparisons of energetic particle impact with the KASIMA model
16:00 -16:30 Coffee
16:30 - 18:00 all General discussion / overview and specific WG papers / future plans End of Meeting
Looking forward to seeing you in Granada in September,
Bernd and Katja